Try arranging four chives over each shortcake, teepee-style, for a real showstopper! This dish may also be served as a parfait--skip the bread and layer the tomato mixture and whipped dressing in wide mouthed wine glasses or parfait glasses.
Yields: 6 servings
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus additional oil for grilling bread
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, cored and diced (about 2 pounds)
- 6 thick slices crusty Italian bread
- 1 garlic clove, halved, plus 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons fresh chives, snipped
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil, plus additional sprigs for garnish
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Prepare grill to medium-high heat or preheat broiler.
- Brush bread slices with olive oil and grill or broil until golden brown on each side. Rub toasted bread with cut side of garlic clove.
- Combine tomatoes with olive oil, onion and minced garlic. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Whip cream until soft peaks form. Beat in the vinegar and sugar until stiff. Fold in the herbs and add salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, generously spoon the tomato mixture over each bread slice and top with some of the whipped dressing. Garnish with basil sprig and serve.
Copyright 2013 © Busch's Inc. All rights reserved.